| |

$135 Million in Settlement to Family of Hospital’s Deceased Mold Victim

Tracy Fischer died in October 2014 after contracting a fungal infection at UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh. She was cared for in the hospital’s cardiothoracic intensive care unit in the same room as two other patients who later died with fungal infections.

In the autopsy report, Dr. Jeffrey Nine, a UPMC pathologist, wrote, “To the best of my knowledge, this 47-year-old woman died of angioinvasive mucormycosis as a complication of post-transplant immunosuppression, following orthotopic heart transplantation.”

The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said a specially ventilated room in the hospital’s cardiothoracic intensive care unit was likely to have been the source of the mold.

After the mold outbreak at the hospital, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) suspended its transplant program–for less than a week.

Read More

Similar Posts