Allergic Reactions To Mold

The allergic reactions which some people experience from mold exposure are at least in part due to the benign outer casing of mold spores, with no toxin involved. This reaction will occur in sensitized individuals whether or not the mold is alive.

Mold Spores


Spores are mold’s answer to “seeds,” specifically small (often single-celled) reproductive bodies that are capable of growing into mold, but also capable of living a long time waiting to take root. When mold is dying, it releases spores as a way to insure its future survival. Spores float through the air to find a new place to land and take root. Even though the original mold colony is dead, the spores can survive for decades. Because the “shell” of the spores is an allergen whether or not the spore itself is alive, dead, or in stasis, in an allergic individual, it is still capable of causing allergic reactions such as irritation of the nose and throat, burning eyes, Mold testing coughing, sneezing, etc. Because of the resiliency of the spores, it is considered good practice to not only kill the mold, but to completely remove it. Removal from impervious objects may be accomplished by scrubbing, vacuuming, and sanding, but for items that are moldy through and through, such as drywall, carpet, and upholstered furniture, disposal is recommended.

Mold & Fungus

Mold and fungus are biological organisms that are present almost everywhere, but will tend to grow in moist environments. They release spores. Some of them create toxins. The mold itself is or degrades into particulate dust in the atmosphere or inside your living environment. In the confined atmosphere of a house or business, in high concentrations, these materials trapped in the house’s ecosystem can produce allergic symptoms in humans, and have even been tied to illness.

Typical symptoms of mold allergy include: runny nose, eye irritation, fatigue, and respiratory ailments such as cough, chest tightness, congestion, and aggravation of asthma symptoms. These symptoms may be produced by common mold species such as Stachybotrys, Aspergillus, Penicillium, Fusarium, Trichoderma and Memnoniella and others, and are sometimes grouped into a complex of symptoms known as sick house syndrome.

An allergic reaction can be caused by ANY kind of mold, whether it is toxic or not, because the problem is in how the body is reacting to the particular substance, in precisely the same way that some people develop allergic reactions to certain foods, while others do not.

Mold Removal

Because dead mold can cause allergic reactions, when mold is in great quantity in a residence, professional removal may be necessary. A professional will take measures that the mold will not be unduly stirred into the atmosphere, or spread to the rest of the property.

Don’t risk exposure to toxic contaminants. If you suspect that you have toxic contaminants in your house, give Bye Bye Mold a call 24/7 at 800.686.1992.

Click here to schedule a service call or to get more information