| | | | |

Toxic Mold For Illinois School May Strain Budget

Dear George,

Why should the school be concerned about mold detected in school?



Dear inquisitive,

A toxic mold problem was detected in an Illinois school, and according to a report from wpsdlocal6.com, it could cost the school up to $6 million to fix it.

Meridian Elementary and Junior High reported that three mold species were identified in the affected building. One of them was toxic. It should be explained that toxic mold normally refers specifically to a type of greenish-black mold known as Stachybotrys chartarum (also known as Stachybotrys atra). Stachybotrys feeds on cellulose and nitrogen of building materials such as fiberboard, gypsum board, and other consumables such as paper, dust, and lint.

There is evidence linking indoor mold exposure with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.

Similar Posts