Are your indoor mold levels higher than those outside?
10 FUN(?) FACTS ABOUT MOLD!
1. Outdoors, mold exists nearly everywhere.
2. There are over 10,000 species of mold.
3. Mold helps break down, or decompose, organic material.
4. Every home has mold, somewhere.
5. Not all mold is harmfully toxic but it can certainly cause allergy problems.
6. Stachybotrys, a form of toxic mold, is actually uncommon and usually found only in homes that have been flooded or have other severe, prolonged water damage.
7. One common antibiotic is actually a purified mold - penicillium notatum, or penicillin.
8 . Mold growth in a home is not limited to flooding & water damage - any exposure to moisture such as a lawn sprinkler, condensation, steam (as from an unvented shower in the bathroom) or periodic leaking that is not attended to will foster the growth of mold.
9. Your homeowner insurance may specifically exclude coverage for damage directly related to mold.
10. Mold spores can not be eliminated from indoor environments; BUT they will only germinate into mold in the presence of moisture.