- Put on gloves
- Select a sampling area of about 10 cm X 10 cm (or 20 cm x 20 cm)
- Break the seal on the tube holding the swab
- Remove the swab from the tube
- If sampling a dry surface, it is recommended that a wet or moistened swab is used. A moistened swab may come in a kit, or a
trace of distilled water can be used.
- Rub the cotton end thoroughly across the sampling area.
- Return the swab into the tube and secure it.
- Label the sample.
- Send the sample to the laboratory for analysis. Package as directed.