Molds photographed using a microscope.
Are your indoor mold levels higher than those outside?
 
 Articles
 
Mold in the headlines
Thanks to Katrina and the presence of rain, mold continues to make its way into homes, buildings and headlines. Though the information is easy to find, many people don't realize that mold and fungus can be health hazards.


It isn't that the mold itself is toxic (though mold can be toxic to someone who is allergy prone or allergic); it is that the molds themselves produce toxins, a specific type of toxin called mycotoxins.

Mold can cause a plethera of conditions, as far ranging as chronic bronchitis to learning disabilities.

There are no government guidelines regarding mold and indoor air quality standards, which contributes to many Americans not realizing the causes of their allergic or chronic reactions to sick houses may well be resulting from mold.

Recovering from contaminated environment can require extended therapy, but if mold is not identified as the cause, individuals continue living in a toxic environment.

Anywhere there is air, moisture and material for mold to feed on, mold can grow. Be it on logs, leaves or your hidden drywall, mold grows in warm moist areas like your basement, closet or bathroom. Since mold is a tough survivor, when the moisture dries up, mold just morphs into a dormant state, waiting for the next influx of moisture to resume its growth. It is easy enough to find it in the drip pan of your refrigerator, or in your humidifier or trash bin, but you can't see it growing inside your walls, where it is chowing down on the cellulose structural elements of your house: ceiling tiles, wood, plasterboard.
Written By:  staff 
Date Posted: 2007-08-13  

Click to Go Back