Contributing Causes of Black Mold
- -Air-conditioning leaks sustain mildew.
- -Bathrooms are unventilated, allowing surface mold.
- -Central Air unit's condensation pan houses mold.
- -Humidifiers provide a mold growth medium and mold distribution system.
- -Unventilated crawl spaces house mildew.
- -Vinyl wallcoverings trap moisture. Mold degrades the surface between the vinyl and drywall.
- -Water-resistant drywall degrades when subjected to moisture.
- -Washing machines installed in a room without a floor drain. Water with no point of exit will soak into adjacent carpet, drywall and insulation.
- -Seal air conditioning duct joints with flexible mastic so they don't leak.
- -Remove bathroom surface mildew by scrubbing the area with a 1/2 percent bleach solution. When dry, prime it with an alcohol-based, white pigmented shellac. Make sure to install a source of ventilation: a bathroom fan or window.
- -In spring, clean the pan with a 1/2 percent bleach solution and anti-mold cleanser to verify the drain pan's drain is active.
- -Regularly treat clean humidifiers with an antimicrobial solution to break the cycle.
- - Keep the air moving through crawl spaces to keep moisture down and fog with anti mold products.
- -Use wallcoverings with impermeable paper or use paint.
- -Instead of water resistant drywall, use cement backer board, which is undamaged by moisture.
- -Always provide a floor drain near the washing machine.