Molds photographed using a microscope.
Are your indoor mold levels higher than those outside?
 
 Articles
 
Mold solutions
Guard against mold, especially if you have allergies.
Mold spores are in your environment all year, not merely in the summer. Beware if you have allergies. In fact fresh air carries more mold spores than pollen in most locations. The higher the humidity, the higher the mold count.

What is alarming to people who "get allergic" is that when mold or fungi reproduces, it shoots tremendous numbers of spores into the air (similar to plants releasing pollen into the air.) You won't see this with your bare eyes because mold spores are microscopic in size. They easily become airborne travel throughout the central air and heading system, circulating through your home wiht the air. If you are allergic to mold spores, they come into contact with the your skin or are inhaled into your lungs, they spores trigger your allergic reaction.

Molds and fungi like dark, damp and a good food supply like decomposing plant and animal material. But they also will eat components of your home, like certain kinds of drywall, carpeting, wallpaper, wallpaper paste, etc. And of course, we should include papers and books, wood, and many other organic materials. Your home is a potential breeding ground for mold and fungi.

Add a little bit of moisture from the air, rain or plumbing leaking into the walls, and the inside of your walls become a prime breeding area. Mold can also grow in foam pillows, garbage cans, refrigerator door gaskets, refrigerator cooling coils, the drip pan under refrigerators, under sink cabinets, closets, storerooms, air conditioner units, washing machines, dryer vents, and carpets. As you see, it can grow in many places, and it spreads.

All of this mold activity leaves you with symptoms include coughing, sneezing, runny nose, headaches, congestion in the lungs, hives, and itchy and watery eyes. Foam board insulation with no air spaces to let in air acts as a wick for any water on the floor and is a great environment for the Black Mold called toxic mold, which can be deadly for mold allergy suffers. When Black Mold infests a building, mold spores are continuously released into the air.

A home infested with Black Mold can become a lethal environment. Treatment includes cleaning of all of the hot spots for mold activity.

Add mold inhibitor to paint and repaint the kitchen and all bathrooms.

Keep the humidity below 40 percent.

Invest in a good quality dehumidifier for all rooms that are use most often.

Use an electrostatic air filter (in your central air and heat units) to filter air before it circulates throughout the house.
Written By:  staff 
Date Posted: 2007-08-01  

Click to Go Back