Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

  • -

Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

they don't make dorms the way they used to
An Idaho State University student has been sick for about four years because of mold in his apartment.

Matthew Shugert said he did not know until January of this year that the cause of his sickness was mold infestation in his apartment at Ridge Crest Housing, Pocatello, Idaho. Explaining his illness, he said, “Over the years, chronic exhaustion to the point of passing out. Sleep problems, respiratory problems, neurological problems, bloody noses, just a wide range of symptoms.”

University’s Technical Safety Director Peter Farina said housing inspectors had visited and assessed mold issue in Shugert’s apartment in early March. He said, “What they need to do is immediately contact our university housing if there are leaks. Because mold needs water to grow and needs a continuous source. If you cut off the water, the mold will stop growing. Also, students need to be careful what they bring into the dorms or houses, we’ve had a lot of fires in the past.”


  • -

Venice Public Library to Shut Down Due of Mold Infestation


Sarasota County Commission has decided to shut down the Venice Public Library, Florida, due to mold problem.

Authorities said the decision for shutting it down was taken because the building is 50-year-old and it would be very expensive to renovate and repair it.

Sarabeth Kalajian with Sarasota County Libraries said, “It’s really with an abundance of caution about the well-being of our citizens, all those who visit the library, plus our staff and volunteers, that we made this recommendation.”

A temporary kiosk for the library operations will be established at the nearby Venice Community Center while the commission will begin planning for the new library.