Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

  • -

Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

On April 20th, a lawsuit was filed against the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Shadyside hospital, Pennsylvania, blaming linens for mold-related death of a patient in October 2015.

According to the lawsuit, leukemia patient Katherine Landman died due to a mold infection that she allegedly caught through linens provided by Paris Cleaners. The lawsuit further says that Landman’s death was the 7th at a UPMC hospital apparently caused by the linens.

Other six deaths were reported at UPMC Montefiore and Presbyterian hospitals.


  • -

Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

A recent report from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) reveals that bed linens might have caused the 2015 mold outbreak that was linked to the deaths of five patients.

According to the report, UPMC found mold on a set of clean linens delivered to them by Paris Healthcare Linen Services, a DuBois, Pennsylvania based laundry facility.

The report was presented at the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas as part of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the estates of two deceased patients.


  • -

Lawyer Alleges Mold at Pittsburgh Hospital Led to Patient’s Death

sterile operating room

The family of a kidney transplant patient who died last week is planning to file a lawsuit against University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

Daniel Krieg, 56, of St. Marys, underwent a kidney transplant last year at UPMC. In March this year, he suffered from pneumonia and had to go back to the hospital where he was put in a specially-ventilated “negative pressure room.”

According to his attorney, Krieg died after he contracted a fungal infection due to time spent in the ventilated room.

However, the hospital administration said in a statement, “We are deeply saddened by the loss of Mr. Krieg. His death was not directly related to the fungal infection, but rather can be attributed to pneumonia.”


  • -

Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

they don't make dorms the way they used to
An Idaho State University student has been sick for about four years because of mold in his apartment.

Matthew Shugert said he did not know until January of this year that the cause of his sickness was mold infestation in his apartment at Ridge Crest Housing, Pocatello, Idaho. Explaining his illness, he said, “Over the years, chronic exhaustion to the point of passing out. Sleep problems, respiratory problems, neurological problems, bloody noses, just a wide range of symptoms.”

University’s Technical Safety Director Peter Farina said housing inspectors had visited and assessed mold issue in Shugert’s apartment in early March. He said, “What they need to do is immediately contact our university housing if there are leaks. Because mold needs water to grow and needs a continuous source. If you cut off the water, the mold will stop growing. Also, students need to be careful what they bring into the dorms or houses, we’ve had a lot of fires in the past.”


  • -

Florida State University Students Find Mold in Dorm Rooms


Students at Florida State University, who returned to their dorms this week, have reported mold in the rooms.

According to FSU freshman Stefanie Prieto, “I came back on Sunday night, and the moment I walked in it just smelled disgusting and there was like mold all over the floors, all over the furniture, all over my items…The air quality definitely makes people cough, I know when I moved in over the fall, I got bronchitis because of the air quality, and I know people are still getting sick now after they moved in from winter break.”

The university housing department said they discovered the mold in about 50 rooms just before the students returned from winter break. According to Director Shannon Staten, “We started immediately with staff and cleaned the rooms we found, and made sure we were getting in there and trying to get it cleared up.”