Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Florida State University Students Find Mold in Dorm Rooms


Students at Florida State University, who returned to their dorms this week, have reported mold in the rooms.

According to FSU freshman Stefanie Prieto, “I came back on Sunday night, and the moment I walked in it just smelled disgusting and there was like mold all over the floors, all over the furniture, all over my items…The air quality definitely makes people cough, I know when I moved in over the fall, I got bronchitis because of the air quality, and I know people are still getting sick now after they moved in from winter break.”

The university housing department said they discovered the mold in about 50 rooms just before the students returned from winter break. According to Director Shannon Staten, “We started immediately with staff and cleaned the rooms we found, and made sure we were getting in there and trying to get it cleared up.”


  • 0

Vanderbilt University Residence Halls Inspected for Mold Growth

Discovery of mold in some residence halls of Vanderbilt University, located in Nashville, Tennessee, prompted the management to inspect around 500 rooms in September.

Vanderbilt’s senior director of housing operations, Jim Kramka, said that the presence of mold was reported in some old buildings which were constructed in the 1940s and 1950s, making them particularly vulnerable to mold during humid seasons.

According to Kramka, shortly after the students moved-in in August, they started reporting the presence of mold and mildew in the rooms. The cleaning crews were then directed to sweep through every room.

The mold was usually found in the air-conditioning units. The crews cleaned up the areas, treated the surfaces to prevent further mold growth and when required, helped the students to clean their clothing as well.

Kramka confirmed that the mold was not harmful. “These are environmental molds…It wouldn’t be something I would call an emergency.”