Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

  • -

Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

they don't make dorms the way they used to
An Idaho State University student has been sick for about four years because of mold in his apartment.

Matthew Shugert said he did not know until January of this year that the cause of his sickness was mold infestation in his apartment at Ridge Crest Housing, Pocatello, Idaho. Explaining his illness, he said, “Over the years, chronic exhaustion to the point of passing out. Sleep problems, respiratory problems, neurological problems, bloody noses, just a wide range of symptoms.”

University’s Technical Safety Director Peter Farina said housing inspectors had visited and assessed mold issue in Shugert’s apartment in early March. He said, “What they need to do is immediately contact our university housing if there are leaks. Because mold needs water to grow and needs a continuous source. If you cut off the water, the mold will stop growing. Also, students need to be careful what they bring into the dorms or houses, we’ve had a lot of fires in the past.”


  • -

Doraville Mother Complains Mold is Making Her Family Sick

A resident of Sonoma Ridge apartments in DeKalb County, Georgia, has complained that the mold infested apartment is making her family sick.

Ethaca Truitt, a Doraville mother, said she has been making continuous complaints to the management about the situation. She claims that the owner is not letting her out of the lease agreement, and charging him an increased amount of rent in case she opts to change the apartment.

“I don’t want to stay here another day. I don’t want to stay here another month,” Truitt said.