Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

  • -

Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

The Vigo County School Board has approved funding to combat mold at West Vigo High School, West Terre Haute, Indiana.

The complete mold remediation at the school is expected to cost $383,964.

On September 19th, the School Board approved an emergency declaration to provide $200,000 out of a capital projects line item for emergency expenditures.

The remainder cost will be met from capital projects budget of the approved budget for this year.


  • -

Klamath-Trinity School District Closes Schools Due to Mold Issues


The schools in Eastern Humboldt County’s Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District have been closed due to mold issues.

The Superintendent of Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District Jon Ray said in a statement, “Effective today, we are required to take immediate health and safety measures involving remediation due to mold. These health and safety measures also include immediately evacuation and closure of several classrooms, cafeterias and kitchens that will affect all campuses.”

The schools that have been closed include:

1. Hoopa Valley Elementary School
2. Hoopa Valley High School
3. Trinity Valley Elementary School
4. Two Rivers – Rivers Edge Community Day School
5. Weitchpec Yurok Magnet/Elementary School
6. Jack Norton Elementary School
7. Orleans Elementary School
8. Captain John Continuation High School

The schools re-open on Monday, February 22.


  • 0

Mold Remediation Underway in Miller County Courthouse Building

Miller County Courthouse building, located in Texarkana, Arkansas, is facing mold problem due to which, some employees have been temporarily relocated while the remediation is underway.

Mold infestation was found last month after an investigation by an Arkansas Department of Labor and Occupational Safety and Health officer.

According to Miller County Judge Larry Burgess, “He said it was not the dangerous kind. It was not a dangerous situation but if you are sensitive to allergies or things like that and give you a headache or maybe flu like symptoms.”

The crews are currently working on the basement’s air duct system. Burgess said, “They didn’t find anything significant so it’s going to be less expensive instead of replacing some stuff we are going to have it clean.”


  • 0

Dear George, if there is water damages…

Tags :

Category : Remediation

Dear George,
if there is water damage,excessive moisture,and building materials wet for more than forty-eight hours at a time in a building for the past ten months,is this a good indication that there will be mold growth? If so, please indicate what needs to be done.

Dear Water Damage,

The first thing to do is eliminate the moisture source. If you don’t fix the initial problem, the mold will always come back. So find the leak and do whatever repairs are necessary. Make sure the area is completely dry and will not be subjected to any future mold.

If there is mold, then the mold itself must be removed and any damaged areas repaired/replaced/cleaned (depending on the extent of the circumstances). This is called remediation.

George


  • 0

If mold is present, what’s the best way to get rid of it?

Category : Removal


The answer depends on how much mold is present and where it is located. If the mold is on furnishings or boxes simply discard the materials. Moldy materials are not considered hazardous waste; they can be sent to a regular landfill. However, it is smart to seal the mold material in heavy plastic to protect the people who handle it in transit and prevent spreading large amounts of the mold into the building as you carry the material out of it.

If the mold is on a hard surface but occupies less than 10 square feet wash the area with soapy water (scrubbing with a brush may be necessary), rinse and allow the area to dry before repainting. If you have asthma, severe allergies and a weaken immune system get someone else to do the clean up.

Larger areas (greater than 10 square feet in area) should be cleaned by someone with experience in doing this type of work. Remember, determine what caused the moisture problem and correct that problem. Otherwise, mold is likely to recur.