Parents Concerned after Mold was Discovered at Eisenhower High School, WA

  • -

Parents Concerned after Mold was Discovered at Eisenhower High School, WA

Parents have expressed concerns after mold was discovered in a classroom at Eisenhower High School, Yakima, Washington.

According to Beth Rothamel, a parent of a freshman, “It’s very irritating to know that my son’s health has been in danger, they don’t know what kind of mold it is it could be toxic mold and they’re letting the kids breathe it and they’re not informing parents that’s what irritates me the most about the whole thing.”

However, the Yakima School District website says that the classroom showing high levels of mold has been cleaned and is safe for occupancy.


  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Hillsborough Township School District Spends $342,000 for Mold Removal

Hillsborough Township School District, New Jersey, has spent $342,000 to clean up mold at Hillsborough High School.

The mold was discovered in 11 rooms, including the video-conference room, auditorium, 2 teacher work rooms, and 7 classrooms.

According to high school Principal Karen Bingert, 8 out of the 11 rooms have been cleaned and opened while the work is underway in the other rooms.


  • -

Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

The Vigo County School Board has approved funding to combat mold at West Vigo High School, West Terre Haute, Indiana.

The complete mold remediation at the school is expected to cost $383,964.

On September 19th, the School Board approved an emergency declaration to provide $200,000 out of a capital projects line item for emergency expenditures.

The remainder cost will be met from capital projects budget of the approved budget for this year.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

World Health Organization Report on Mold

The World Health Organization composed a publication revealing scientific evidence on health problems associated with building moisture and biological agents.

The attached Scientific review concludes that the most important effects are increased prevalences of respiratory symptoms, allergies and asthma as well as perturbation of the immunological system.

The publication is available for download

INDOOR

E92645

  • -

Baby Company Recalls Sippy Cups after Reports of Mold Development

Mayborn USA is recalling over 3 million spill-proof sippy cups due to reports of mold developing in removable valves.

The company is recalling their “Tommee Tippee Sippee” cups due to risk of mold development in white, removable valve that remains moist.

The decision was taken after the company received 3,066 complaints of mold in similar cups. Out of these reports, 68 also reported diarrhoea, vomiting, or other mold-related illnesses in the children.


  • -

$135 Million in Settlement to Family of Hospital’s Deceased Mold Victim


Tracy Fischer died in October 2014 after contracting a fungal infection at UPMC Presbyterian hospital in Pittsburgh. After staying in the same room in the hospital’s cardiothoracic intensive care unit as two other patients who later died with fungal infections, Tracy Fischer also died.

The Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said a specially ventilated room in the hospital’s cardiothoracic intensive care unit was likely to have been the source of the mold. In the autopsy report, Dr. Jeffrey Nine, a UPMC pathologist wrote “To the best of my knowledge, this 47-year-old woman died of angioinvasive mucormycosis as a complication of post-transplant immunosuppression following orthotopic heart transplantation.”

After the mold outbreak at the hospital, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) suspended its transplant program for less than a week.

Read More