ALDI Offers Refund After Mold was Discovered in Fruit Pouch

  • -

ALDI Offers Refund After Mold was Discovered in Fruit Pouch

Grocery chain ALDI has removed their Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from their stores in Springfield, Missouri, after mold was found in one of the pouches.

The mold was discovered and reported by Ashley Lamb, who had purchased the Apple Mango pouch for her 2-year-old son. “I was really struggling to not gag. I felt so bad that my little guy, I couldn’t imagine what had been in his mouth, and I hoped, as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out,” she said.

Following the incident, ALDI issued the following statement on Thursday:

“ALDI takes the safety and integrity of the products we sell very seriously and our Little Journey baby line is no exception…. Our Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches are USDA certified organic and contain no artificial preservatives. While extremely rare, if a pouch is punctured and exposed to air, mold can grow. It was brought to our attention that this occurred with pouches that were available for purchase at our Springfield store located at 421 E. Battlefield. Out of an abundance of caution, we have removed all Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from our store shelves in the Springfield area… We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this situation may have caused. If a customer has any concerns about this product, we encourage them to visit their local Springfield ALDI store and we’ll gladly refund the purchase price of the Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches.”


  • 0

Asbestos, Mold Hazards Found in KC-Based Advance Auto Parts Store

On complaint of a worker, the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA} inspected an Advance Auto Parts store located in Kansas City, Missouri, for possible asbestos, mold and hygiene hazards.

On inspection, OSHA inspectors found one repeated and ten serious safety and health violations. According to Barbara Theriot, OSHA’s area director in Kansas City, “Exposure to asbestos is a dangerous workplace issue that can cause loss of lung function and cancer, among other serious health effects. When Advance Auto uses an older building with presumed asbestos-containing material, such as floor tiles, it has a responsibility to conduct periodic air monitoring and must post warning signs for workers…The company also has a responsibility to maintain the building in a sanitary and safe manner. OSHA found persistent flooding, which caused mold growth and created lower-level slip and fall hazards. This is unacceptable.”

Following the inspection, the OSHA inspectors have imposed a fine of $60,000 on Advance Auto Parts store management.


  • 0

School Remained Closed for 4 Days due to Mold Infestation

Recently conducted test reports confirmed the presence of mold in a Catholic school located in St. Louis County, Missouri, after which it was closed for 4 days.

The tests reports showed that Penicillium, Aspergillus or Cladosporium species were present in some classrooms as well as on the furniture, ceiling tiles and band instruments. Therefore, the Queen of All Saints Catholic School, situated on Christopher, Oakville area, was closed for an extensive cleaning from September 19 to September 24.

The cleaning process, including wiping of surfaces, spraying biocides to kill mold, cleaning of ducts and air handling units as well as discarding mold infested rugs, carpets and paper products, was successfully completed. After the cleaning process, post-cleaning tests were also conducted on Wednesday.