Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Mold Detected in Fayette County Elementary School


Fayette County school district officials have detected mold in Huddleston Elementary School, Peachtree City, Georgia.

Principal Heidi Pfannenstiel said the Fayette County school district has cleaned the mold-infested classrooms and confirmed that it was not black mold.

In a letter addressed to the parents, she wrote, “There are some individuals with a higher sensitivity to molds in the environment; however, the air quality reports are well within an acceptable range, as reported by the industrial hygienist.”


  • -

Doraville Mother Complains Mold is Making Her Family Sick

A resident of Sonoma Ridge apartments in DeKalb County, Georgia, has complained that the mold infested apartment is making her family sick.

Ethaca Truitt, a Doraville mother, said she has been making continuous complaints to the management about the situation. She claims that the owner is not letting her out of the lease agreement, and charging him an increased amount of rent in case she opts to change the apartment.

“I don’t want to stay here another day. I don’t want to stay here another month,” Truitt said.


  • -

Atlanta Resident Complains of Mold Infestation in his Apartment

A resident of a Peoples’ Town Villas apartment in southeast Atlanta, Georgia, has complained that mold is making him sick.

Joseph Culler said he suffers from an ailment that weakens his immune system and mold infestation in his apartment is further worsening his condition. “I know about mold, it’s very lethal. It’ll kill you, especially with my kind of condition. I have seizures as well,” he said.

He said he showed the mold to the property managers but they have not yet done anything to clean it.


  • 0

Black Mold Found in a Hotel in Covington, Georgia

According to a fire inspection conducted in Covington Lodge, Covington, Georgia, on June 3, many rooms in the hotel are infested with black mold.

Tony Smith, a Fire Marshall at the Covington Fire Department said that the inspection was conducted after two separate complaints were lodged against the hotel. The first complaint was a life safety complaint while the second one was regarding safety issues, insects and building features.

The inspection also revealed that around half of the rooms in the hotel had pest control problems and the hotel management stores debris and trash in the vacant rooms.

Smith said that the extended stay hotel, situated at 9161 City Pond Rd in Covington, will be re-inspected after 1-2 weeks.


  • 0

City of Donalsonville Fire Station Faces Mold and Asbestos Problems

The fire station building in the city of Donalsonville, Georgia, is experiencing mold and asbestos problems.

A survey, conducted this February by the Alternative Construction & Environmental Solutions, showed the evidence of mold growth as well as high carbon monoxide levels in the building. The mold spores were found in many indoor areas including the training room, sleeping area and the dining area.

The city authorities are weighing options on how to remediate these problems. Meanwhile, the sleeping area for the on-duty fire fighters has been shifted into a camper behind the fire station building.

According to the city manager Darrell Hampton, the fire Chief Travis Brooks is working on a remediation plan which will then be submitted to Mayor Dan Ponder.