Study Finds That Fungi Release Toxins Directly Into Air

  • -

Study Finds That Fungi Release Toxins Directly Into Air

A recent study conducted by French researcher Jean-Denis Bailly and his colleagues has found that mycotoxins from mold can disperse into the air under normal conditions.

The researchers examined the mycotoxins produced by three types of fungi, and discovered that “this transfer to air requires air velocities that can be encountered in ‘real life conditions’ in buildings.”

These aerosolized mycotoxins pose a health risk for the occupants as they can be easily inhaled and can penetrate into the respiratory tract.

The researchers further noted that approximately twenty percent to forty percent of buildings in Northern Europe and North America have macroscopically visible fungal growth. Therefore, it is crucial that any risk assessment regarding fungal growth in buildings takes these findings into consideration.


  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • County cuts election board space request nearly in half
    However, Higgins reported a contractor was employed to determine if mold was present, and the contractor determined simple cleaning would be sufficient. According to Patricia Jackson, election director, the board reviewed eight other properties before settling on the Royal Plus Building in Snow Hill, ...
  • Global Mold Inhibitors Market Industry Size, Analysis, Future Scope (2011-2023)
    Global Mold Inhibitors Market research report gives a systematic and competent approach to gather important statistics of Global Mold Inhibitors industry. In which includes industry chain structure, Mold Inhibitors market classification, dominant market players, product definition, and product scope. Global ...
  • Mold set-up Trainee (Nights)
    Complete all required paperwork such as line clearance, mold history, process run sheet, and safety check sheet. Properly identify materials, material placement, mixing and numbering procedures. Set up hoppers and troubleshoot other auxiliary equipment used in material flow. Clean and maintain ...
  • Central Elementary School remains closed after mold found in classrooms
    The concern for mold inside Central Elementary school sparked last week. That is when Hendee said she immediately called the district's central office, which led to an inspection of the entire school by an El Paso company. “They were able to identify areas so then they went deeper than that and found ...
  • Central Elementary students, teachers handle mold problem in stride
    Central Elementary School is currently closed, with the students, faculty and staff being sent to St Paul's United Methodist Church and the Las Cruces Boys and Girls Club, Thursday January 18, 2018, as the school is cleaned of mold that was recently discovered in the school. ( Josh Bachman/Sun-News) ...
  • 'Mushrooms' growing from moldy Jacksonville apartment ceilings
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Some tenants at the Commons Apartments on Anniston Road are outraged after they tell us the complex did nothing to fix mold and mushrooms sprouting from the ceiling and walls. Former Commons leasing agent Megan Bianchi described to Action News Jax how the complex ...
  • About 175000 UGG comforters recalled due to risk of mold exposure
    The recalled Hudson comforters by UGG were sold at the retailer between August 2017 and October 2017, both in-store and online. The recall notice says that mold could be present, “posing a risk of respiratory or other infections in individuals with compromised immune systems, damaged lungs or an ...
  • Bed Bath & Beyond recalls comforter due to mold risk
    Home goods retailer Bed Bath & Beyond is recalling an UGG brand comforter because it may expose people to mold. A recall notice for the "Hudson" comforter posted on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website said mold could be in the comforter, "posing a risk of respiratory or other ...
  • Taral Plastics - we mold to you
    For more than 40 years, Taral Plastics has manufactured high-quality plastic jars and closures, meeting the ever-changing needs of our customers through superior production, prompt delivery, and an unmatched level of personal service.
  • Bed Bath & Beyond recalls 175000 comforters
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - Bed Bath & Beyond has recalled 175,000 Hudson comforters by UGG due to the possible presence of mold, which poses a risk of respiratory and other infections to those with compromised immune systems and/or who are allergic to mold. No injuries have been reported and the ...