Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

  • -

Moldy Apartment Makes Pocatello Man Sick

they don't make dorms the way they used to
An Idaho State University student has been sick for about four years because of mold in his apartment.

Matthew Shugert said he did not know until January of this year that the cause of his sickness was mold infestation in his apartment at Ridge Crest Housing, Pocatello, Idaho. Explaining his illness, he said, “Over the years, chronic exhaustion to the point of passing out. Sleep problems, respiratory problems, neurological problems, bloody noses, just a wide range of symptoms.”

University’s Technical Safety Director Peter Farina said housing inspectors had visited and assessed mold issue in Shugert’s apartment in early March. He said, “What they need to do is immediately contact our university housing if there are leaks. Because mold needs water to grow and needs a continuous source. If you cut off the water, the mold will stop growing. Also, students need to be careful what they bring into the dorms or houses, we’ve had a lot of fires in the past.”


  • -

Florida State University Students Find Mold in Dorm Rooms


Students at Florida State University, who returned to their dorms this week, have reported mold in the rooms.

According to FSU freshman Stefanie Prieto, “I came back on Sunday night, and the moment I walked in it just smelled disgusting and there was like mold all over the floors, all over the furniture, all over my items…The air quality definitely makes people cough, I know when I moved in over the fall, I got bronchitis because of the air quality, and I know people are still getting sick now after they moved in from winter break.”

The university housing department said they discovered the mold in about 50 rooms just before the students returned from winter break. According to Director Shannon Staten, “We started immediately with staff and cleaned the rooms we found, and made sure we were getting in there and trying to get it cleared up.”