Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

  • -

Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

A recent report from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) reveals that bed linens might have caused the 2015 mold outbreak that was linked to the deaths of five patients.

According to the report, UPMC found mold on a set of clean linens delivered to them by Paris Healthcare Linen Services, a DuBois, Pennsylvania based laundry facility.

The report was presented at the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas as part of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the estates of two deceased patients.


  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

The Vigo County School Board has approved funding to combat mold at West Vigo High School, West Terre Haute, Indiana.

The complete mold remediation at the school is expected to cost $383,964.

On September 19th, the School Board approved an emergency declaration to provide $200,000 out of a capital projects line item for emergency expenditures.

The remainder cost will be met from capital projects budget of the approved budget for this year.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

Klamath-Trinity School District Closes Schools Due to Mold Issues


The schools in Eastern Humboldt County’s Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District have been closed due to mold issues.

The Superintendent of Klamath-Trinity Joint Unified School District Jon Ray said in a statement, “Effective today, we are required to take immediate health and safety measures involving remediation due to mold. These health and safety measures also include immediately evacuation and closure of several classrooms, cafeterias and kitchens that will affect all campuses.”

The schools that have been closed include:

1. Hoopa Valley Elementary School
2. Hoopa Valley High School
3. Trinity Valley Elementary School
4. Two Rivers – Rivers Edge Community Day School
5. Weitchpec Yurok Magnet/Elementary School
6. Jack Norton Elementary School
7. Orleans Elementary School
8. Captain John Continuation High School

The schools re-open on Monday, February 22.


  • -

Venice Public Library to Shut Down Due of Mold Infestation


Sarasota County Commission has decided to shut down the Venice Public Library, Florida, due to mold problem.

Authorities said the decision for shutting it down was taken because the building is 50-year-old and it would be very expensive to renovate and repair it.

Sarabeth Kalajian with Sarasota County Libraries said, “It’s really with an abundance of caution about the well-being of our citizens, all those who visit the library, plus our staff and volunteers, that we made this recommendation.”

A temporary kiosk for the library operations will be established at the nearby Venice Community Center while the commission will begin planning for the new library.


  • -

Franklin County Health Department Faces Mold Issue

The Franklin County Health Department building in Columbus, Ohio, was temporarily shut down on September 2, due to mold issues.

According to Franklin County manager Angela Harris, the building was briefly vacated to seal off mold-infested areas for treatment. The staff was requested to vacate the building and customer services were made limited.

Harris said the department was informed about the issue on August 21 and the test reports came out within 4 days. “We have had employees complain about sinus and allergy problems since the report came out… Perhaps 20 or more have expressed that they have had, in some point in time, an allergy or sinus problems,” she said.