Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

  • -

Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

On April 20th, a lawsuit was filed against the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Shadyside hospital, Pennsylvania, blaming linens for mold-related death of a patient in October 2015.

According to the lawsuit, leukemia patient Katherine Landman died due to a mold infection that she allegedly caught through linens provided by Paris Cleaners. The lawsuit further says that Landman’s death was the 7th at a UPMC hospital apparently caused by the linens.

Other six deaths were reported at UPMC Montefiore and Presbyterian hospitals.


  • -

Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

A recent report from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) reveals that bed linens might have caused the 2015 mold outbreak that was linked to the deaths of five patients.

According to the report, UPMC found mold on a set of clean linens delivered to them by Paris Healthcare Linen Services, a DuBois, Pennsylvania based laundry facility.

The report was presented at the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas as part of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the estates of two deceased patients.


  • -

Lawyer Alleges Mold at Pittsburgh Hospital Led to Patient’s Death

sterile operating room

The family of a kidney transplant patient who died last week is planning to file a lawsuit against University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

Daniel Krieg, 56, of St. Marys, underwent a kidney transplant last year at UPMC. In March this year, he suffered from pneumonia and had to go back to the hospital where he was put in a specially-ventilated “negative pressure room.”

According to his attorney, Krieg died after he contracted a fungal infection due to time spent in the ventilated room.

However, the hospital administration said in a statement, “We are deeply saddened by the loss of Mr. Krieg. His death was not directly related to the fungal infection, but rather can be attributed to pneumonia.”