Mold Facts

Molds are a problem indoors when mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens, substances that can cause allergic reactions, irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances called mycotoxins. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions. Allergic responses include hayfever-like symptoms:sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold can be immediate or delayed and they are common. In people with asthma who are allergic to mold, molds can cause asthma attacks. Mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of people who are not even allergic

Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. For more detailed information, read more about mold at https://www.epa.gov/mold