Crawl Spaces

Mold Contamination In Crawl Spaces

Experts agree to disagree about the significance of mold contamination in crawl spaces. Generally, a crawl space is a dank and moldy place. For some experts that is perfectly okay, but I don’t agree with this. If a mold problem in a crawl space is left unattended, it will eventually become a problem in the living areas above it. Our company has collected thousands of mold samples; and I am the person who generally reviews the laboratory findings, and I have seen this happen. I write the reports based on our inspections and the lab analyses. When you have this kind of volume you see it all.

I have seen families move from their homes to hotels. Eventually their own insurance company experts conclude that the source of the mold problem in the living areas is the crawl spaces.

I recall one case in particular. Our client had a washing machine overflow and it flooded her house. Her insurance company immediately responded. In record time, the flood and the damage to her living areas was history.

About a year later, our client said she took out a credit line against her home. She wanted to do some remodeling that included re-piping the entire residence with copper plumbing. The plumber started sawing areas of the walls where the new plumbing would be installed, but he started feeling ill. Before long our client and children evacuated the house.

It turned out that when the washing machine overflowed, the water had also flooded the crawl space. When the insurance company contractors did all of their fine work indoors, they did nothing to the crawl space. With little ventilation, the mold continued to amplify. By the time our company was called to visit the premises, we had to use masks and Tyvek wear.

This particular experience taught me that while crawl spaces may not immediately grab your attention or require the immediate cleanup of a living area, you cannot long ignore a crawl space mold issue without having to deal with the consequences.

Don’t risk exposure to toxic contaminants. If you suspect that you have toxic contaminants in your house, give Bye Bye Mold a call 24/7 at 800.686.1992.

Click HERE to request a mold consultation.


  • County cuts election board space request nearly in half
    However, Higgins reported a contractor was employed to determine if mold was present, and the contractor determined simple cleaning would be sufficient. According to Patricia Jackson, election director, the board reviewed eight other properties before settling on the Royal Plus Building in Snow Hill, ...
  • Global Mold Inhibitors Market Industry Size, Analysis, Future Scope (2011-2023)
    Global Mold Inhibitors Market research report gives a systematic and competent approach to gather important statistics of Global Mold Inhibitors industry. In which includes industry chain structure, Mold Inhibitors market classification, dominant market players, product definition, and product scope. Global ...
  • Mold set-up Trainee (Nights)
    Complete all required paperwork such as line clearance, mold history, process run sheet, and safety check sheet. Properly identify materials, material placement, mixing and numbering procedures. Set up hoppers and troubleshoot other auxiliary equipment used in material flow. Clean and maintain ...
  • Central Elementary School remains closed after mold found in classrooms
    The concern for mold inside Central Elementary school sparked last week. That is when Hendee said she immediately called the district's central office, which led to an inspection of the entire school by an El Paso company. “They were able to identify areas so then they went deeper than that and found ...
  • Central Elementary students, teachers handle mold problem in stride
    Central Elementary School is currently closed, with the students, faculty and staff being sent to St Paul's United Methodist Church and the Las Cruces Boys and Girls Club, Thursday January 18, 2018, as the school is cleaned of mold that was recently discovered in the school. ( Josh Bachman/Sun-News) ...
  • 'Mushrooms' growing from moldy Jacksonville apartment ceilings
    JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Some tenants at the Commons Apartments on Anniston Road are outraged after they tell us the complex did nothing to fix mold and mushrooms sprouting from the ceiling and walls. Former Commons leasing agent Megan Bianchi described to Action News Jax how the complex ...
  • About 175000 UGG comforters recalled due to risk of mold exposure
    The recalled Hudson comforters by UGG were sold at the retailer between August 2017 and October 2017, both in-store and online. The recall notice says that mold could be present, “posing a risk of respiratory or other infections in individuals with compromised immune systems, damaged lungs or an ...
  • Bed Bath & Beyond recalls comforter due to mold risk
    Home goods retailer Bed Bath & Beyond is recalling an UGG brand comforter because it may expose people to mold. A recall notice for the "Hudson" comforter posted on the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission website said mold could be in the comforter, "posing a risk of respiratory or other ...
  • Taral Plastics - we mold to you
    For more than 40 years, Taral Plastics has manufactured high-quality plastic jars and closures, meeting the ever-changing needs of our customers through superior production, prompt delivery, and an unmatched level of personal service.
  • Bed Bath & Beyond recalls 175000 comforters
    WASHINGTON, D.C. - Bed Bath & Beyond has recalled 175,000 Hudson comforters by UGG due to the possible presence of mold, which poses a risk of respiratory and other infections to those with compromised immune systems and/or who are allergic to mold. No injuries have been reported and the ...