Formaldehyde

What Is Formaldehyde?

Newly constructed home

Formaldehyde can be a significant issue in new homes.

Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas. It is given off of new furniture, new construction, and carpeting; and also in some materials in the process of degrading from water, heat, saline or chemical exposure. It can be a significant issue in new homes because they are so tightly constructed that fumes cannot dissipate into the atmosphere.

Where Formaldehyde Is Found

Formaldehyde is given off of new furniture, new construction, and carpeting; and also in some materials in the process of degrading from water, heat, saline or chemical exposure. It can be a significant issue in new homes because they are so tightly constructed that fumes cannot dissipate into the atmosphere.

Potential Consequences Of Exposure

When present in the air at levels above 0.1 ppm (parts in a million parts of air), it can cause watery eyes, burning sensations in the eyes, nose and throat, nausea, coughing, chest tightness, wheezing, skin rashes, and allergic reactions. It has also been observed to cause cancer in lab animals.

Even if your house is brand new, you could be suffering from sick house syndrome. If you are feeling woozy and lethargic, your nosebleeds, hacking coughs and headaches may not be due to mold allergy. Your symptoms may be due to exposure to one component of sick house syndrome: Formaldehyde exposure.

Formaldehyde Testing Equipment

Formaldehyde Sensor

Don’t risk exposure to toxic contaminants. Bye Bye Mold’s state of the art electrochemical Formaldehyde sensor can detect 0-200 ppm (parts per million.)

If you suspect that you have toxic contaminants in your house, give Bye Bye Mold a call 24/7 at 800.686.1992.

Click HERE to request a formaldehyde consultation.