Benzene

What Is Benzene?

Benzene is sweet smelling, colorless liquid/gas. It evaporates quickly and dissolves in water, is highly flammable, and is widely used by industry. The EPA set the max permissible benzene level in drinking water at 0.005 mg/L.

Where Benzene Is Found

Outdoor air contains low levels of Benzene from tobacco smoke, automobile service stations, exhaust from motor vehicles, and industrial emissions. Indoor air contains higher levels of Benzene from products such as glues, paints, furniture wax, and detergent. Air around hazardous waste sites, gas stations or close proximity to factory emissions will contain higher levels.

Potential Consequences Of Exposure

Benzene Testing Equipment

Benzene Testing Equipment

Breathing high levels of Benzene can result in death; lower levels can cause drowsiness, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headaches, tremors, confusion, and unconsciousness. Eating or drinking foods containing benzene can cause vomiting, stomach irritation, dizziness, sleepiness, convulsions, rapid heart rate, and death; long-term low level exposure affects bone marrow. The Dept of Health and Human Services classifies Benzene as a known carcinogen, specifically causing anemia and leukemia. Any toxic chemical is a danger factor in tightly constructed new homes.

Don’t risk exposure to toxic contaminants. Bye Bye Mold’s state of the art equipment can detect contamination to 0.003 ppm (parts per million.)

If you suspect that you have toxic contaminants in your house, give Bye Bye Mold a call 24/7 at 800.686.1992.

Click HERE to request a Benzene consultation.