Category Archives: Residential

  • -

Residents of Rental House Sue Landlord Over Black Mold Infestation

Residents of a rental house in Alton, Illinois, have filed a lawsuit against the landlord, alleging that the property was infested with black mold.

The lawsuit claims that black mold is a serious health hazard, and the defendants failed to prevent mold growth which has caused injury and pain to the plaintiffs Patrick Phillips, Chasity Phillips and four minor children.

The lawsuit names Rashad Robinson, CR Investments, CR Property Investments, LLC, Robinson Realty and Especial Services and Renovations, as well as owners and managers of the property located in Residence Street.


  • -

How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Apartment?

Do you have a mold problem in your house/apartment?

If the answer is yes, you have got a problem that needs your immediate attention. Living in moldy conditions can cause several health conditions including upper respiratory illness.

But do not worry! Here are a few tips that can help you address the mold issue:

1.The first and most important step you can take to prevent or get rid of mold is to reduce moisture in the area. You can do so by using bathroom and kitchen fans and opening the windows.

2.Increasing overall ventilation in your home will also reduce mold growth. Therefore, keep the bathroom doors open as much as possible, and open all the windows in the house for some time every day.

3.It has been observed that mold grows easily on dusty, moist surfaces. Therefore, dusting the susceptible places, such as outside of your toilet tank and window frames, more often will reduce mold growth.


  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

Doraville Mother Complains Mold is Making Her Family Sick

A resident of Sonoma Ridge apartments in DeKalb County, Georgia, has complained that the mold infested apartment is making her family sick.

Ethaca Truitt, a Doraville mother, said she has been making continuous complaints to the management about the situation. She claims that the owner is not letting her out of the lease agreement, and charging him an increased amount of rent in case she opts to change the apartment.

“I don’t want to stay here another day. I don’t want to stay here another month,” Truitt said.


  • -

Santa Monica’s Famous Celebrity Rental Faces Mold Issue

Champagne Towers, a famous celebrity high-rise rental located at 1221 Ocean Ave. in Santa Monica, California, is undergoing major overhaul, in part due to mold infestation.

As per the public records, the management has been trying to get rid of mold since several months.

Recently, Donald Bren’s Irvine Co. has decided to go for a multimillion-dollar makeover to get rid of mold and other issues. The company is also offering royal relocation packages to current residents.


  • 0

Mold, Moisture Damage Can Enhance Risk of Asthma in Children

According to researchers at Finland’s National Institute for Health and Welfare, exposure to mold or moisture damage can increase the likelihood of asthma in children.

The findings were published in the journal Pediatrics on February 16.

According to lead researcher Anne Karvonen, “The most significant finding was that moisture damage with or without mold in the rooms where children are expected to spend most of their time is associated with increased asthma risk, and it appears to be permanent.”

The research further concluded that children were most susceptible during their first two years or if they already suffer from allergies.


  • 0

Memphis Housing Authority Project Plagued with Mold, Exposed Wiring

A recent audit has exposed that the Memphis Housing Authority’s Housing Choice Voucher program has a host of problems including exposed electrical wiring, mold, missing locks, improper water heater lines and poor yard maintenance.

The officials with the federal Office of Inspector General inspected 90 program units during the audit. Out of them, 77 failed to comply with the minimum quality requirements of the U.S. Housing and Urban Development.

According to the audit, “The excessive violations occurred because the authority’s quality control inspection program did not effectively detect that its inspectors lacked sufficient knowledge of HUD’s housing quality standards and missed opportunities to improve inspector performance…Unless the authority improves its inspection program and ensures that all of its units materially meet minimum housing quality standards, we estimate that over the next year, HUD will pay about $34 million in housing assistance for units in material noncompliance with the standards.”

The U.S. Housing and Urban Development-funded housing project, which receives a federal funding of $40 million annually, is managed by Quadel Consulting Corporation, Washington, D.C.


  • 0

Mold Found in Kourtney Kardashian’s Calabasas Mansion

An 8.4 million dollar Calabasas mansion bought by Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick in January, has turned out be infested with dangerous mold.

The mold was found by the Kardashian’s interior designer who was installing lighting fixtures in the house. Kourtney, Scott and their kids, Mason, 4 and Penelope, 2, have moved out of the house.

The 12,000 square foot mansion previously belonged to the former NFL star Keyshawn Johnson. According to him, “There was no water damage to the house I sold to Ms. Kardashian… It is a new home that I built less than 10 years ago. It never had any water or mold problems. Prior to sale, the house was thoroughly inspected by excellent, experienced inspectors that they hired. I don’t know what has transpired since they moved into the house but I wish them well.”


  • 0

Parents Detained, Children Removed from the House Covered with Black Mold

Odessa Police have arrested the parents of a 5-month-old girl and 23-month-old boy, after animal feces, exposed wires and black mold was found in their Odessa home.

Both the children have been placed in a foster care. According to Child Protective Services (CPS) spokesperson Marleigh Meisner, “We remove children if the unsanitary conditions affect the safety and well-being of the children.”

The parents, William Charles Spires, 24, and Bailey Renae Schmidt, 21, are being held at Ector County Detention Center. According to Odessa Police spokesperson Cpl. Steve LeSueur, they have been charged for endangering the children, which is a state jail felony.