Category Archives: Mold Reports

  • -

ALDI Offers Refund After Mold was Discovered in Fruit Pouch

Grocery chain ALDI has removed their Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from their stores in Springfield, Missouri, after mold was found in one of the pouches.

The mold was discovered and reported by Ashley Lamb, who had purchased the Apple Mango pouch for her 2-year-old son. “I was really struggling to not gag. I felt so bad that my little guy, I couldn’t imagine what had been in his mouth, and I hoped, as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out,” she said.

Following the incident, ALDI issued the following statement on Thursday:

“ALDI takes the safety and integrity of the products we sell very seriously and our Little Journey baby line is no exception…. Our Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches are USDA certified organic and contain no artificial preservatives. While extremely rare, if a pouch is punctured and exposed to air, mold can grow. It was brought to our attention that this occurred with pouches that were available for purchase at our Springfield store located at 421 E. Battlefield. Out of an abundance of caution, we have removed all Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from our store shelves in the Springfield area… We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this situation may have caused. If a customer has any concerns about this product, we encourage them to visit their local Springfield ALDI store and we’ll gladly refund the purchase price of the Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches.”


  • -

Lifeguard Headquarters in Lavallette Shut Down due to Black Mold

A lifeguard headquarters building in Lavallette, New Jersey, has been closed due to mold issues.

The building, that was opened earlier this year, was shut down after black mold was discovered.

The building had costed the Lavallette taxpayers approximately $387,000.


  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.


  • -

World Health Organization Report on Mold

The World Health Organization composed a publication revealing scientific evidence on health problems associated with building moisture and biological agents.

The attached Scientific review concludes that the most important effects are increased prevalences of respiratory symptoms, allergies and asthma as well as perturbation of the immunological system.

The publication is available for download

INDOOR

E92645

  • -

Duncan Fire Station Closed due to Mold Problem

Duncan fire station number 3, located at 1701 Elder in Duncan, Oklahoma, was recently closed after mold was discovered in the living quarters and office space.

According to Duncan Fire Chief Dayton Burnside, “Once the city discovered the mold, they had it tested and got the report back…then paid an environmental specialist out of Lawton to come … and chemically treat the mold that was visible and throughout the station. The report said once we treated and all the surface mold was gone we had to rip out all the wood stuff and get behind the wood and have it re-treated again…It is up to the city manger and council if it is feasible to remove all the areas that have mold, repair and rebuild or to re-locate.”

The fire crews have been temporary relocated to the downtown fire station, however, officials plan to place a temporary building outside the fire station by Monday.


  • -

Start of School Year in Hesperia Delayed Due to Mold Infestation

The start of Hesperia Community’s school year has been delayed due to mold infestation in some classrooms of Patricia St. Clair Elementary School in Hesperia, Michigan.

Authorities said the mold was detected on the carpets in elementary school during a routine walk-through on September 7th. However, since the K-12th students share the same ventilation system, classes were put off for all students.

The schools are expected to re-open on September 10th.


  • -

Franklin County Health Department Faces Mold Issue

The Franklin County Health Department building in Columbus, Ohio, was temporarily shut down on September 2, due to mold issues.

According to Franklin County manager Angela Harris, the building was briefly vacated to seal off mold-infested areas for treatment. The staff was requested to vacate the building and customer services were made limited.

Harris said the department was informed about the issue on August 21 and the test reports came out within 4 days. “We have had employees complain about sinus and allergy problems since the report came out… Perhaps 20 or more have expressed that they have had, in some point in time, an allergy or sinus problems,” she said.


  • 0

Mold Spore Count in Chicago Recorded Near Dangerous Level

According to a recent press release, the Gottlieb Allergy Count for mold spores in Chicago almost reached the threshold for the air quality level to be termed as ‘dangerous’.

On June 30, the count was recorded to be 45,000, while the threshold of 50,000 is considered dangerous. The mold count was at its highest level since March this year.

Joseph Leija, MD, who is an allergist and performs the Gottlieb Allergy Count said in the press release, “The extreme humidity coupled with hot temperatures and rain have created a soupy environment that is causing serious distress for those with mold allergies and asthma…It’s like having a hot, wet towel over your face all the time for many with sensitive systems. Difficulty breathing, itchy throat, coughing and fatigue is what Chicagoans feel today and possibly for the rest of the week.”

Leija advised the sensitive people to “stay inside, run the air conditioning and, above all, take medication” when the threshold is so high.


  • 0

Old Nursing, Fine Arts buildings in WSSU Cleared Mold Test

Two old buildings of Winston-Salem State University, North Carolina, have cleared the mold and asbestos tests.

The tests were conducted after some complaints were reported regarding possible mold and asbestos contamination in Old Nursing building, built in 1956 and Fine Arts buildings, built in 1958. However, the director of Environmental Health and Safety at WSSU confirmed that the results of tests did not indicate any potentially hazardous condition.