Category Archives: Health

  • -

Residents of Rental House Sue Landlord Over Black Mold Infestation

Residents of a rental house in Alton, Illinois, have filed a lawsuit against the landlord, alleging that the property was infested with black mold.

The lawsuit claims that black mold is a serious health hazard, and the defendants failed to prevent mold growth which has caused injury and pain to the plaintiffs Patrick Phillips, Chasity Phillips and four minor children.

The lawsuit names Rashad Robinson, CR Investments, CR Property Investments, LLC, Robinson Realty and Especial Services and Renovations, as well as owners and managers of the property located in Residence Street.


  • -

Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

On April 20th, a lawsuit was filed against the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Shadyside hospital, Pennsylvania, blaming linens for mold-related death of a patient in October 2015.

According to the lawsuit, leukemia patient Katherine Landman died due to a mold infection that she allegedly caught through linens provided by Paris Cleaners. The lawsuit further says that Landman’s death was the 7th at a UPMC hospital apparently caused by the linens.

Other six deaths were reported at UPMC Montefiore and Presbyterian hospitals.


  • -

ALDI Offers Refund After Mold was Discovered in Fruit Pouch

Grocery chain ALDI has removed their Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from their stores in Springfield, Missouri, after mold was found in one of the pouches.

The mold was discovered and reported by Ashley Lamb, who had purchased the Apple Mango pouch for her 2-year-old son. “I was really struggling to not gag. I felt so bad that my little guy, I couldn’t imagine what had been in his mouth, and I hoped, as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out,” she said.

Following the incident, ALDI issued the following statement on Thursday:

“ALDI takes the safety and integrity of the products we sell very seriously and our Little Journey baby line is no exception…. Our Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches are USDA certified organic and contain no artificial preservatives. While extremely rare, if a pouch is punctured and exposed to air, mold can grow. It was brought to our attention that this occurred with pouches that were available for purchase at our Springfield store located at 421 E. Battlefield. Out of an abundance of caution, we have removed all Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from our store shelves in the Springfield area… We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this situation may have caused. If a customer has any concerns about this product, we encourage them to visit their local Springfield ALDI store and we’ll gladly refund the purchase price of the Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches.”


  • -

How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Apartment?

Do you have a mold problem in your house/apartment?

If the answer is yes, you have got a problem that needs your immediate attention. Living in moldy conditions can cause several health conditions including upper respiratory illness.

But do not worry! Here are a few tips that can help you address the mold issue:

1.The first and most important step you can take to prevent or get rid of mold is to reduce moisture in the area. You can do so by using bathroom and kitchen fans and opening the windows.

2.Increasing overall ventilation in your home will also reduce mold growth. Therefore, keep the bathroom doors open as much as possible, and open all the windows in the house for some time every day.

3.It has been observed that mold grows easily on dusty, moist surfaces. Therefore, dusting the susceptible places, such as outside of your toilet tank and window frames, more often will reduce mold growth.


  • -

Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

A recent report from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) reveals that bed linens might have caused the 2015 mold outbreak that was linked to the deaths of five patients.

According to the report, UPMC found mold on a set of clean linens delivered to them by Paris Healthcare Linen Services, a DuBois, Pennsylvania based laundry facility.

The report was presented at the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas as part of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the estates of two deceased patients.


  • -

Over 100 LAPD Officers File Claims Over Mold, Other Unhealthy Conditions at Southeast Community Police Station

Over 100 Los Angeles Police Department officers have filed worker compensation claims reporting mold and other unhealthy conditions at the Southeast Community Police Station.

The officers alleged that the Police Station’s heating and air conditioning system vents are covered with black mold and bird feathers. They claimed that these unhealthy conditions are causing respiratory issues including asthma and sinus infections.

The Los Angeles Police Protective League (LAPPL) is demanding that the city administration takes immediate action to mitigate this problem.

LAPD spokesman Josh Rubenstein said in a written statement, “While we understand the mold spore levels do not pose a serious health risk, we are working with the Los Angeles General Services Department to remove it from the building… It is our priority to ensure that LAPD employees and the community feel safe in our stations.”


  • -

Parents Concerned after Mold was Discovered at Eisenhower High School, WA

Parents have expressed concerns after mold was discovered in a classroom at Eisenhower High School, Yakima, Washington.

According to Beth Rothamel, a parent of a freshman, “It’s very irritating to know that my son’s health has been in danger, they don’t know what kind of mold it is it could be toxic mold and they’re letting the kids breathe it and they’re not informing parents that’s what irritates me the most about the whole thing.”

However, the Yakima School District website says that the classroom showing high levels of mold has been cleaned and is safe for occupancy.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

Mayor of Niles, OH Hospitalized due to Mold-Related Illness

The mayor of Niles, Ohio, was hospitalized on August 18th due to a mold-related illness.

Mayor Tom Scarnecchia was taken to hospital after toxic mold spores were found in the area above his desk in the City Hall.

Authorities said the recent heavy rains had caused the city hall’s roof to leak, thus facilitating mold growth.

The city has started the clean-up process.

The employees have been temporarily moved to other locations.


  • -

Baby Company Recalls Sippy Cups after Reports of Mold Development

Mayborn USA is recalling over 3 million spill-proof sippy cups due to reports of mold developing in removable valves.

The company is recalling their “Tommee Tippee Sippee” cups due to risk of mold development in white, removable valve that remains moist.

The decision was taken after the company received 3,066 complaints of mold in similar cups. Out of these reports, 68 also reported diarrhoea, vomiting, or other mold-related illnesses in the children.