Category Archives: Detection

  • -

Families Complain of Mold at Senior Citizen Center in Quebec, Canada

Families of the residents of a senior citizen center in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec, Canada, have alleged that the building is infested with mold and mushrooms.

An anonymous person, claiming to be the daughter of one of the residents at Marquis De Tracy, said, “There are mushrooms in the basement, it’s terrible. There is one which is as big as the fist. There is water on the floors, in the corners especially, and on the walls you can see black spots. And I don’t know in there, but I have the impression that if you defeated the wall, if there are any that come out through the skirting boards, surely that back it is full.”

The center houses approximately 75 senior citizens.

The facility manager Bernard Beauchemin said the management is working to resolve the water infiltration problem in the building.


  • -

Study Finds That Fungi Release Toxins Directly Into Air

A recent study conducted by French researcher Jean-Denis Bailly and his colleagues has found that mycotoxins from mold can disperse into the air under normal conditions.

The researchers examined the mycotoxins produced by three types of fungi, and discovered that “this transfer to air requires air velocities that can be encountered in ‘real life conditions’ in buildings.”

These aerosolized mycotoxins pose a health risk for the occupants as they can be easily inhaled and can penetrate into the respiratory tract.

The researchers further noted that approximately twenty percent to forty percent of buildings in Northern Europe and North America have macroscopically visible fungal growth. Therefore, it is crucial that any risk assessment regarding fungal growth in buildings takes these findings into consideration.


  • -

Residents of Rental House Sue Landlord Over Black Mold Infestation

Residents of a rental house in Alton, Illinois, have filed a lawsuit against the landlord, alleging that the property was infested with black mold.

The lawsuit claims that black mold is a serious health hazard, and the defendants failed to prevent mold growth which has caused injury and pain to the plaintiffs Patrick Phillips, Chasity Phillips and four minor children.

The lawsuit names Rashad Robinson, CR Investments, CR Property Investments, LLC, Robinson Realty and Especial Services and Renovations, as well as owners and managers of the property located in Residence Street.


  • -

Several Classrooms at Providence High School Closed due to Mold Issue

Central High School in Providence, Rhode Island, has closed 19 classrooms due to mold infestation.

Authorities said the classrooms on the second and third floor of the East Wing were affected by mold due to damage to the exterior wall.

A letter issued by the school district said, “The city has also hired an environmental company to conduct certified cleanings of the classrooms that require any mold remediation… The repairs have been timed over vacation to minimize disruption to students and teachers. Please note that any water-damaged rooms will not house classes until necessary interior repairs have been completed and rooms are cleared by contracted experts.”


  • -

Lifeguard Headquarters in Lavallette Shut Down due to Black Mold

A lifeguard headquarters building in Lavallette, New Jersey, has been closed due to mold issues.

The building, that was opened earlier this year, was shut down after black mold was discovered.

The building had costed the Lavallette taxpayers approximately $387,000.


  • -

Parents Concerned after Mold was Discovered at Eisenhower High School, WA

Parents have expressed concerns after mold was discovered in a classroom at Eisenhower High School, Yakima, Washington.

According to Beth Rothamel, a parent of a freshman, “It’s very irritating to know that my son’s health has been in danger, they don’t know what kind of mold it is it could be toxic mold and they’re letting the kids breathe it and they’re not informing parents that’s what irritates me the most about the whole thing.”

However, the Yakima School District website says that the classroom showing high levels of mold has been cleaned and is safe for occupancy.


  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Hillsborough Township School District Spends $342,000 for Mold Removal

Hillsborough Township School District, New Jersey, has spent $342,000 to clean up mold at Hillsborough High School.

The mold was discovered in 11 rooms, including the video-conference room, auditorium, 2 teacher work rooms, and 7 classrooms.

According to high school Principal Karen Bingert, 8 out of the 11 rooms have been cleaned and opened while the work is underway in the other rooms.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.