Category Archives: clean-up

  • -

How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Apartment?

Do you have a mold problem in your house/apartment?

If the answer is yes, you have got a problem that needs your immediate attention. Living in moldy conditions can cause several health conditions including upper respiratory illness.

But do not worry! Here are a few tips that can help you address the mold issue:

1.The first and most important step you can take to prevent or get rid of mold is to reduce moisture in the area. You can do so by using bathroom and kitchen fans and opening the windows.

2.Increasing overall ventilation in your home will also reduce mold growth. Therefore, keep the bathroom doors open as much as possible, and open all the windows in the house for some time every day.

3.It has been observed that mold grows easily on dusty, moist surfaces. Therefore, dusting the susceptible places, such as outside of your toilet tank and window frames, more often will reduce mold growth.


  • -

Lifeguard Headquarters in Lavallette Shut Down due to Black Mold

A lifeguard headquarters building in Lavallette, New Jersey, has been closed due to mold issues.

The building, that was opened earlier this year, was shut down after black mold was discovered.

The building had costed the Lavallette taxpayers approximately $387,000.


  • -

Parents Concerned after Mold was Discovered at Eisenhower High School, WA

Parents have expressed concerns after mold was discovered in a classroom at Eisenhower High School, Yakima, Washington.

According to Beth Rothamel, a parent of a freshman, “It’s very irritating to know that my son’s health has been in danger, they don’t know what kind of mold it is it could be toxic mold and they’re letting the kids breathe it and they’re not informing parents that’s what irritates me the most about the whole thing.”

However, the Yakima School District website says that the classroom showing high levels of mold has been cleaned and is safe for occupancy.


  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Hillsborough Township School District Spends $342,000 for Mold Removal

Hillsborough Township School District, New Jersey, has spent $342,000 to clean up mold at Hillsborough High School.

The mold was discovered in 11 rooms, including the video-conference room, auditorium, 2 teacher work rooms, and 7 classrooms.

According to high school Principal Karen Bingert, 8 out of the 11 rooms have been cleaned and opened while the work is underway in the other rooms.


  • -

Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

The Vigo County School Board has approved funding to combat mold at West Vigo High School, West Terre Haute, Indiana.

The complete mold remediation at the school is expected to cost $383,964.

On September 19th, the School Board approved an emergency declaration to provide $200,000 out of a capital projects line item for emergency expenditures.

The remainder cost will be met from capital projects budget of the approved budget for this year.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

Mayor of Niles, OH Hospitalized due to Mold-Related Illness

The mayor of Niles, Ohio, was hospitalized on August 18th due to a mold-related illness.

Mayor Tom Scarnecchia was taken to hospital after toxic mold spores were found in the area above his desk in the City Hall.

Authorities said the recent heavy rains had caused the city hall’s roof to leak, thus facilitating mold growth.

The city has started the clean-up process.

The employees have been temporarily moved to other locations.


  • -

Florida State University Students Find Mold in Dorm Rooms


Students at Florida State University, who returned to their dorms this week, have reported mold in the rooms.

According to FSU freshman Stefanie Prieto, “I came back on Sunday night, and the moment I walked in it just smelled disgusting and there was like mold all over the floors, all over the furniture, all over my items…The air quality definitely makes people cough, I know when I moved in over the fall, I got bronchitis because of the air quality, and I know people are still getting sick now after they moved in from winter break.”

The university housing department said they discovered the mold in about 50 rooms just before the students returned from winter break. According to Director Shannon Staten, “We started immediately with staff and cleaned the rooms we found, and made sure we were getting in there and trying to get it cleared up.”