Author Archives: George

  • -

Chatham County Apartment Residents Complain of Mold after Hurricane Matthew

The residents of Westlake Apartments in Chatham County, Georgia, are struggling to find shelter as their apartments have become unlivable due to mold and mildew.

The residents were advised to evacuate in the wake of Hurricane Matthew, however, they complained that the storm has just multiplied the issues the building already had and has made it unliveable.

A Westlake resident Olivia Johnson said “I have green mold on my couch, standing up out the carpet and I also have mold coming out my carpet… It’s still wet when I walk. It’s still water splashing all over my legs. This is ridiculous.”

The residents said they were assured they would be provided hotel accommodation for the weekend. However, on Friday, the property owner aspen properties refused to bear the hotel expenses.


  • -

Rapid City School Closes for One Week due to Mold Issue

Black Hawk Elementary school in Rapid City, South Dakota, has been closed after mold was found in an interior wall.

The school authorities said lab testing is being done to assess the extent of mold infestation. The results are expected on Wednesday.

School district spokeswoman Katy Urban said an alternate place will be arranged for the 410 students if the problem takes more than a week to resolve.


  • -

Hillsborough Township School District Spends $342,000 for Mold Removal

Hillsborough Township School District, New Jersey, has spent $342,000 to clean up mold at Hillsborough High School.

The mold was discovered in 11 rooms, including the video-conference room, auditorium, 2 teacher work rooms, and 7 classrooms.

According to high school Principal Karen Bingert, 8 out of the 11 rooms have been cleaned and opened while the work is underway in the other rooms.


  • -

Vigo County School Board Approves Emergency Budget for Mold Remediation

The Vigo County School Board has approved funding to combat mold at West Vigo High School, West Terre Haute, Indiana.

The complete mold remediation at the school is expected to cost $383,964.

On September 19th, the School Board approved an emergency declaration to provide $200,000 out of a capital projects line item for emergency expenditures.

The remainder cost will be met from capital projects budget of the approved budget for this year.


  • -

Harper Creek Community Schools Closed due to Mold

Harper Creek Community Schools in Battle Creek, Michigan, have been closed after mold was found in three of the middle school classrooms.

Calhoun County officials confirmed that mold was found on the carpet in three classrooms. The carpets were cleaned and sanitized after samples of mold spores were sent to laboratory for testing.

The school district has hired certified technicians to thoroughly clean the classrooms. In the meantime, all schools will remain closed.


  • -

Nuns at Stanwood Convent Sickened due to Mold Infestation

The sisters of the Convent of the Meeting of the Lord in the Stanwood convent, Snohomish County, Washington, have been sickened by mold.

The sisters, who make and sell beeswax candles for a living, have recently discovered that their home is infested with mold.

They estimated cost of cleanup and repair is between $10,000 and $30,000.

One of the neighbors has started a Go Fund Me project to help meet the repair expenses.


  • -

Mayor of Niles, OH Hospitalized due to Mold-Related Illness

The mayor of Niles, Ohio, was hospitalized on August 18th due to a mold-related illness.

Mayor Tom Scarnecchia was taken to hospital after toxic mold spores were found in the area above his desk in the City Hall.

Authorities said the recent heavy rains had caused the city hall’s roof to leak, thus facilitating mold growth.

The city has started the clean-up process.

The employees have been temporarily moved to other locations.


  • -

Lawyer Alleges Mold at Pittsburgh Hospital Led to Patient’s Death

sterile operating room

The family of a kidney transplant patient who died last week is planning to file a lawsuit against University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC).

Daniel Krieg, 56, of St. Marys, underwent a kidney transplant last year at UPMC. In March this year, he suffered from pneumonia and had to go back to the hospital where he was put in a specially-ventilated “negative pressure room.”

According to his attorney, Krieg died after he contracted a fungal infection due to time spent in the ventilated room.

However, the hospital administration said in a statement, “We are deeply saddened by the loss of Mr. Krieg. His death was not directly related to the fungal infection, but rather can be attributed to pneumonia.”


  • -

Baby Company Recalls Sippy Cups after Reports of Mold Development

Mayborn USA is recalling over 3 million spill-proof sippy cups due to reports of mold developing in removable valves.

The company is recalling their “Tommee Tippee Sippee” cups due to risk of mold development in white, removable valve that remains moist.

The decision was taken after the company received 3,066 complaints of mold in similar cups. Out of these reports, 68 also reported diarrhoea, vomiting, or other mold-related illnesses in the children.


  • -

High Volume of Outdoor Mold Spores and Pollen Recorded in Philadelphia

AIR QUALITY red Rubber Stamp over a white background.

AIR QUALITY red Rubber Stamp over a white background.


On May 25th, outdoor mold spores in Philadelphia were recorded at over 7000 spores per cubic meter.

The overall tree pollen volume also increased to 700 pollen grains per cubic meter of air, which is more than double of the volume recorded on Tuesday.

Authorities have warned that this increase in mold spores and pollen can provoke moderate to severe allergy symptoms.