Author Archives: George

  • -

Families Complain of Mold at Senior Citizen Center in Quebec, Canada

Families of the residents of a senior citizen center in Sorel-Tracy, Quebec, Canada, have alleged that the building is infested with mold and mushrooms.

An anonymous person, claiming to be the daughter of one of the residents at Marquis De Tracy, said, “There are mushrooms in the basement, it’s terrible. There is one which is as big as the fist. There is water on the floors, in the corners especially, and on the walls you can see black spots. And I don’t know in there, but I have the impression that if you defeated the wall, if there are any that come out through the skirting boards, surely that back it is full.”

The center houses approximately 75 senior citizens.

The facility manager Bernard Beauchemin said the management is working to resolve the water infiltration problem in the building.


  • -

Study Finds That Fungi Release Toxins Directly Into Air

A recent study conducted by French researcher Jean-Denis Bailly and his colleagues has found that mycotoxins from mold can disperse into the air under normal conditions.

The researchers examined the mycotoxins produced by three types of fungi, and discovered that “this transfer to air requires air velocities that can be encountered in ‘real life conditions’ in buildings.”

These aerosolized mycotoxins pose a health risk for the occupants as they can be easily inhaled and can penetrate into the respiratory tract.

The researchers further noted that approximately twenty percent to forty percent of buildings in Northern Europe and North America have macroscopically visible fungal growth. Therefore, it is crucial that any risk assessment regarding fungal growth in buildings takes these findings into consideration.


  • -

Mold Attacks Native American reservation

Mold has infested and sickened public housing units at the Lac Courte Oreille Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Reservation. Now the question is posed if the tribe has mishandled $1 million in taxpayer money. A grant was awarded, but only a handful of houses have been repaired, and the cost to complete the repairs has grown substantially. A hundred members of the Lac Courte Oreille Band have requested a forensic audit of tribal accounts.


  • -

Residents of Rental House Sue Landlord Over Black Mold Infestation

Residents of a rental house in Alton, Illinois, have filed a lawsuit against the landlord, alleging that the property was infested with black mold.

The lawsuit claims that black mold is a serious health hazard, and the defendants failed to prevent mold growth which has caused injury and pain to the plaintiffs Patrick Phillips, Chasity Phillips and four minor children.

The lawsuit names Rashad Robinson, CR Investments, CR Property Investments, LLC, Robinson Realty and Especial Services and Renovations, as well as owners and managers of the property located in Residence Street.


  • -

Another Lawsuit Blames Linens at UPMC for Mold-Related Death

On April 20th, a lawsuit was filed against the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Shadyside hospital, Pennsylvania, blaming linens for mold-related death of a patient in October 2015.

According to the lawsuit, leukemia patient Katherine Landman died due to a mold infection that she allegedly caught through linens provided by Paris Cleaners. The lawsuit further says that Landman’s death was the 7th at a UPMC hospital apparently caused by the linens.

Other six deaths were reported at UPMC Montefiore and Presbyterian hospitals.


  • -

Several Classrooms at Providence High School Closed due to Mold Issue

Central High School in Providence, Rhode Island, has closed 19 classrooms due to mold infestation.

Authorities said the classrooms on the second and third floor of the East Wing were affected by mold due to damage to the exterior wall.

A letter issued by the school district said, “The city has also hired an environmental company to conduct certified cleanings of the classrooms that require any mold remediation… The repairs have been timed over vacation to minimize disruption to students and teachers. Please note that any water-damaged rooms will not house classes until necessary interior repairs have been completed and rooms are cleared by contracted experts.”


  • -

ALDI Offers Refund After Mold was Discovered in Fruit Pouch

Grocery chain ALDI has removed their Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from their stores in Springfield, Missouri, after mold was found in one of the pouches.

The mold was discovered and reported by Ashley Lamb, who had purchased the Apple Mango pouch for her 2-year-old son. “I was really struggling to not gag. I felt so bad that my little guy, I couldn’t imagine what had been in his mouth, and I hoped, as soon as he tasted it, he spit it out,” she said.

Following the incident, ALDI issued the following statement on Thursday:

“ALDI takes the safety and integrity of the products we sell very seriously and our Little Journey baby line is no exception…. Our Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches are USDA certified organic and contain no artificial preservatives. While extremely rare, if a pouch is punctured and exposed to air, mold can grow. It was brought to our attention that this occurred with pouches that were available for purchase at our Springfield store located at 421 E. Battlefield. Out of an abundance of caution, we have removed all Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches from our store shelves in the Springfield area… We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this situation may have caused. If a customer has any concerns about this product, we encourage them to visit their local Springfield ALDI store and we’ll gladly refund the purchase price of the Little Journey Organic Food Puree pouches.”


  • -

Sarasota County, FL Starts Demolition of Mold-Infested Venice Public Library

Sarasota County, Florida, has started demolition of the mold-infested Venice Public Library in Venice, Florida, on March 20th.

The library was closed in January this year after mold was detected in the building.

The Sarasota County plans to construct a new library once the demolition is completed.

In the meantime, the residents have been provided a temporary kiosk and library.


  • -

How to Get Rid of Mold in Your Apartment?

Do you have a mold problem in your house/apartment?

If the answer is yes, you have got a problem that needs your immediate attention. Living in moldy conditions can cause several health conditions including upper respiratory illness.

But do not worry! Here are a few tips that can help you address the mold issue:

1.The first and most important step you can take to prevent or get rid of mold is to reduce moisture in the area. You can do so by using bathroom and kitchen fans and opening the windows.

2.Increasing overall ventilation in your home will also reduce mold growth. Therefore, keep the bathroom doors open as much as possible, and open all the windows in the house for some time every day.

3.It has been observed that mold grows easily on dusty, moist surfaces. Therefore, dusting the susceptible places, such as outside of your toilet tank and window frames, more often will reduce mold growth.


  • -

Report Shows Bed Linens Might Have Caused UPMC Mold Outbreak

A recent report from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) reveals that bed linens might have caused the 2015 mold outbreak that was linked to the deaths of five patients.

According to the report, UPMC found mold on a set of clean linens delivered to them by Paris Healthcare Linen Services, a DuBois, Pennsylvania based laundry facility.

The report was presented at the Allegheny County Court of Common Pleas as part of the wrongful death lawsuits filed by the estates of two deceased patients.